sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Tide - Daniela Sacerdoti We begin the second book in the Sarah Midnight trilogy with a prologue. Sarah, aged 8, is with her grandmother Morag. Admonished to protect and preserve the Midnight family, this is the last thing her grandmother shared with her before she went back to where she belonged … the sea.

Chapter One begins almost where we left Sarah. Nicholas is spending a lot of time with her and Sean is on the outside watching over her (using one of his skills so that he can’t be detected).

Sarah is affected by a cloudy mind and loss of appetite when she’s with Nicholas. She’s lost her ability to dream. I wanted to shout at her to wake up and see what was happening rather succumbing to his power. Guess it’s not easy when you’re lulled into nothingness! It’s not long until we find out who Nicholas is and his motive. I loved this ‘darkness’ and how it fits with fairy tales/myths I know, although it is unique in itself.

Once again there are some terror filled scenes with the Sabha attacking those close to Sarah. I was wondering if we would be introduced to more otherworldly creatures/monsters in this mythology and I wasn’t disappointed!

Characters from Dreams come together – Elodie, Niall and Mike alongside Sarah, Nicholas and Sean. They all travel to Islay, to the Midnight family home. We meet Winter and learn more of the Midnight family history. These scenes are action-packed and the plot takes us deeper until we reach another pivotal point.

The love triangle reaches a climax when Sarah finally admits to herself how she feels although this is a relationship that’s destined not to be due to the Secret families code. How poignant the scene is at the end of this book!

The finding of the Carmina Prophetica tells us where we’ll be heading to in the final part of the trilogy … but who is that large bird who when we last saw it, was taking off its mask and afraid of failing? Where does this fit in?

Deception, truths uncovered, a character who I disliked intensely but actually ended up rooting for, terror, action packed scenes, magic and a fabulous mythology and of course the love triangle! has kept me riveted. I can’t wait to see how this will all play out!

Key knowledge we gained from Dreams is shared so if you read this a while ago, your memory is refreshed or if you’re starting the trilogy here, the story will make sense (but I would recommend reading Dreams first).

I would like to thank Janne Moller from Black & White Publishing for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.