sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Billy and Me - Giovanna Fletcher The prologue hooked me in. Intrigue surrounded Sopie’s past – what happened to make her change from the extroverted primary aged child to the withdrawn and shy secondary school girl? I enjoyed reading about the tea shop, Tea –on-the-Hill, with nurturing owner Molly. I also enjoyed the scene where Sophie first meets Billy and I enjoyed the conflict when Billy’s manager, Paul, was involved (by the way, did I say I loved Molly’s character?) The plot is well paced and believable.

Unfortunately though, from the point that Sophie and Billy met I lost interest. I didn’t believe in Sophie and Billy’s relationship. Even from their first romantic date in Rosefont Hill, I didn’t ‘feel’ it. There was no zing, no pizzaz between them. It was flat. This coloured the whole story for me and because I couldn’t get into their relationship, I also couldn’t identify with Sophie. I had similar life experiences to Sophie when she was younger (no spoilers!) but even this didn’t hook me in to her character.

I know I am in the minority here, if you read the other reviews on Goodreads you will see many bloggers raving about Billy and Me. However, I have to share my honest opinion otherwise I would lose the integrity I have for myself!

I was disappointed, having been hooked in by the prologue, and enjoyed Fletcher’s writing style, I was expecting to at least recommend my blog readers buy a copy for yourself but my recommendation is to loan a copy from your library.

I would like to thank the publishers for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.