sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

A Stitch in Time - Amanda James We first meet Sarah as she’s walking down a narrow lane and becomes drenched by a passing bus! Everyone in the café has witnessed her soaking … Her old school friend Karen is waiting for her inside. Sarah finds out her friend is pregnant but doesn’t want to talk about it and rushes off.

For Sarah, disaster follows disaster until John Needler knocks on her door … and then her life changes in a dramatic way! Through Sarah we get to spend time in Sheffield in 1940, Edwardian England, 1920’s and in the 1870’s.

There are so many different aspects to this unique story. Everything just ties-in making the plot solid and despite the time-travelling, very real! Sarah’s job as a teacher and the staff/students are so true to life … and I loved the way that James wove this into the past. The theory of time-travelling that John shares with Sarah is plausible and makes sense (well it did to me!) The time we spend in the past is just amazing, the characters and their circumstances feel real. I was quite sad to be pulled back into the present … but at least we had John waiting for us on our return

Of course we have the romance between our two leads. Conflict comes from the time responsibilities they have and also from John’s old flame Josephina. Sarah is her own worst enemy as well, still vulnerable and needing reassurance from others. I loved it when her confidence finally kicked in on her jaunts and she became a force to be reckoned with.

A Stitch in Time is sprinkled with humour. James is so creative, totally out of the box with her time quotes/idioms. I just so loved these and am still laughing now. Fantastic!

The personifications were unique too! for example on page 135 :
“Her pulse was racing ten to the dozen and relief jumped up from its arm lock and ran around her consciousness in perfumed slippers.”

I adored this story – from the beginning to the end. This is one of those books that you don’t want to end! So my advice is to stop reading the reviews and go and buy your own copy …

I would like to thank the publishers for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.