sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Seducing Ingrid Bergman - Chris Greenhalgh The story opens with Robert Capa taking photographs while parachuting with the paratroopers from the 17th Airbourne Division. It’s a March day in 1945. This is my favourite part of the book. It’s full of action and very descriptive.

Next, we’re with Ingrid at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre on the night she wins an Academy Award. Husband Petter does not appear to be happy and they leave after midnight at Petter’s request … before dessert and the dancing begins. Ingrid should be feeling euphoric but she’s feeling flat.

This is our introduction of the two leads and where they are in their lives. Once they’ve met at The Ritz, the story unfolds of their attraction and their affair.

There are two narratives in Seducing Ingrid Bergman. When Capa is involved the narrative is from his perspective (1st person) while time with Ingrid is 3rd person.

Although Greenhalgh’s writing technique includes personification/metaphors (which if you read my reviews you’ll know I love, adding depth and meaning for me) I feel there were too many. This meant I didn’t engage with the story as much as I thought I would. The ‘flowery’ language created a wall so that I didn’t experience the emotions of the characters, therefore not identifying with either leads.

There is another part of the story I enjoyed … when Capa is narrating the liberation of Paris. This came to to life for me with how Greenhalgh conveys the exuberance of the city.

My enjoyment may have been greatly reduced because of my lack of engagement with the leads but EasyLiving has this to say:

“Absorbing and passionate, the whirlwind romance between the war photographer and actress – who met in Paris 1945, where Bergman had been sent to entertain the troops – will whisk you away to another world. The perfect autumn read. “

I would like to thank the publisher for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.