sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

The Lost Soul - Suzy Turner The Lost Soul is the final book in The Raven Saga trilogy which is targeted at a Young Adult audience.

The second book in the trilogy December Moon was one of my Top Ten Fiction reads for 2011.

As soon as I saw Suzy tweet that The Lost Soul was available to purchase I was first in line to buy my Kindle copy.

The final book opens with a man who has been unconscious and wakes to realise that he’s laying with rotting corpses. He’s in a deep ditch and has no recollection of who he is and how he got there. He sees what he thinks is a hummingbird who tells him “You will be safe. Do not worry.” And so the adventure begins …

All the way through this story we have action … with December and her headaches and finding out this is a result of ‘the lost soul’ trying to contact her; the vampires trying to find Duran’s legacy he left behind; the man who opens the story who has a quest of his own that runs parallel to those in Powell River and the devastation caused by the new resident.

The way new characters tie up with history/old characters in the book is brilliant. The strands all weave together so that we realise there is nothing that happens in isolation but is part of the whole story. The characters all behave as we would expect them to from the previous books so we have continuation. I absolutely loved the appearance from a certain angel … My notes say ‘OMG it’s …’ even before he was named.

There were a couple of surprises for me – the new resident of Powell River, Calliope. I had my suspicions about her at the funeral but didn’t guess who she was. I also didn’t guess who the lost soul was until it was there in black and white!

I have two favourite scenes. One is when the Tulugaq family all realise their heritage – made me shiver. The other is when Ruby (the ghostly mother) finds her love. I had tears in my eyes!

You could read The Lost Soul as a standalone because it is a different quest and we are told what the characters are. You would be missing out on the background of the characters though and the journey they’ve been on to get where they are.

For me, the final quest of The Raven Saga brought it all together. I will miss this world!