sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Bond Girl - Erin Duffy Bond Girl starts with a prologue. Alex, 24, living in Manhattan, has woken with another hangover. We know she doesn’t feel the same about her job as she did and the inference is it’s not because of the imploding financial world but because of a ‘he’. Chapter One briefly gives information about her tomboy childhood and going into work with her father on Wall Street and from then on the reader becomes a part of Alex’ life from the time of her interview and through her working world.

The majority of the story plays out on the ‘floor’ of company Cromwell Pierce with a few company parties thrown in the mix. This environment is so distanced from my life that I loved becoming involved in it.

Alex is the narrator so the reader gets to identify with her strong character. In the male dominated world of Wall Street, her survival depends on boss ‘Chick’ (don’t be fooled by the name!) and following unwritten rules. A couple of the guys give her pointers. There is only one other female on the team nicknamed ‘Cruella’ … you can guess how she treats Alex! Alex spends a lot of time shadowing (and suffering humiliations) before getting her own desk.

Running alongside the work ethics is the romance. With the no-romance policy at work appearing to cause distance at first between Alex and a colleague, it did become obvious what was happening as the relationship developed … and seeing as Alex is a strong and independent character, I was disappointed that she hadn’t sussed anything!

There are lots of humorous scenes throughout the book. One of my favourites is around Christmas time involving the lobby and the glass baubles … such a laugh out loud moment for me.

We do find out who the ‘he’ is in the prologue. A client who makes Alex’ life a living misery, making her anxious and putting her on edge. He made my skin crawl! I loved it that Alex stayed strong and worked it out her own way.

I found it easy to fall into the rhythm of the writing and get caught up in the story. If you’re looking for a light chick-lit read on your summer holiday then this debut novel might be just what you are looking for.

I would like to thank Harper Collins for providing an uncorrected proof copy in exchange for an honest review.

Review also up on my blog http://jerasjamboree.wordpress.com/