sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe? - Hazel Osmond The story opens with Ellie and work partner Lesley pitching an out-of-the-box idea to dull Account Excecutive Hugo. Their head of department Gavin is away and so Jack Wolfe will be choosing which pitch goes through to the client. The scene is set for the background of Ellie’s career.

The reader is then introduced to how life is at home with boyfriend Sam. Sam is busy with his German clients and their paths hardly ever seem to cross at home. We learn how they met and where they are now.

Ellie discovers boyfriend Sam in a situation that changes her whole life – it makes her question lots of things.

Ellie’s first encounter with Jack Wolfe away from work takes place in Cavello’s while she is waiting for her food order to take away. Despite the embarrassment of the situation, I enjoyed Ellie’s antagonism and thought she carried it off with poise!

While Jack is goading Ellie at work to grow into her potential, their growing attraction is palpable. Their dance of emotions has a barrier that seems insurmountable! We know that Jack has something in his past that makes him cold and unemotional but we don’t find out what that is for a long time.

Written in the third person, this enables the reader to identify with all the characters. (For me the characters were very real and their lives became mine … when I’m emotionally involved in the story it’s very hard to stand back and be objective!)

We are able to go beneath the mask Jack presents to the world while we journey with him and his thoughts and feelings. There is only one point where I disliked him intensely but the rest of the time, the reader can see his actions have a reason!

I have to mention Ellie’s great Aunt Edith … she is such a fun and eccentric character and I really enjoyed the bond they had. I admired her for wanting to keep the zest and fire in her life despite her age.

If you read my reviews you will know how much I enjoy watching a character grow and Ellie is no exception. In the beginning we find her just cruising through her life, only skimming the surface. As the story progresses we get to see her become confident in her abilities in her career as well as her personal life.

Even though I’ve read a lot of books in this genre with a similar plot (mutual attraction denied, then succumb, then the break away etc) the way the author crafts this story gave it a fresh feeling to me. The story is fast paced, humorous, engaging and takes the reader to the highs and the lows. I’ve laughed and cried and yes, lusted after Mr Wolfe myself I was sad when the story came to an end – I just wanted it to carry on!

I won my signed copy of Who’s Afraid of Mr Wolfe? on Amanda’s Countdown to Christmas feature on her blog (Highly recommend you follow her reviews if you don’t already on One More Page ) Thanks Amanda for introducing me to a new author!