sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

IOU - Helen Warner IOU begins with a prologue which intrigues the reader … who is it sat on the step? Who is she waiting for? What is in the envelope? It isn’t until the epilogue that we are at the same scene again.

In the beginning, we get to know their characters and their lives. We see the cracks appearing in Ben and Amy’s finances and we witness Kate’s encounter with Jack. Although we spend time with Jennifer in the present, we also journey with her when she has flashbacks to the past.

Narrated in the third person, Amy, Kate and Jennifer’s stories weave in and out of each other’s in their own chapters as well as later on in the story, together. This is cleverly crafted so that the reader is left to make the connections. I thought this brought added depth.

I personally found it easy to identify with the three women and experience the emotions alongside them. I did figure out the plot and where it would ultimate take the reader very early in the story as I picked up on the subtle clues … but despite that, I enjoyed watching their lives unfurl.

There is plenty to hold the readers attention alongside the romance with family dynamics, secrets and a friendship betrayal. We also get to see one of the women grow and develop, gaining confidence and actually coming through as a really strong women (which I enjoy!)

The epilogue I mentioned in the beginning … the reader isn’t told what is on the piece of paper but we can infer …

I found IOU easy to read with a fast pace. A perfect read to pick up when you’ve booked yourself some ‘me’ time!

I would like to thank the publishers, Simon & Schuster, for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.