sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

I've Got Your Number - Sophie Kinsella The first book I read on my new Kindle in January 2010 was Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. Laughed out loud and loved it. I’ve seen the movie ‘Confessions of a Shopaholic’ … again loved it and have Shopaholic Abroad on my bookshelf to read. I’ve also read and loved The Undomestic Goddess. When I saw I’ve Got Your Number on Netgalley there was no way I was going to miss the opportunity to request approval to read another Sophie Kinsella! This author is loved by many for a reason – and I’ve Got Your Number doesn’t disappoint. Along with many other people, I find Kinsella’s writing style so easy to read and get swept along in the world she creates.

How creative to weave a story around a mobile phone found in a bin! The first phone call on the mobile is answered by Poppy pretending to be the voicemail. She notes down the cryptic message. The second call she answers is from Sam Roxton who is looking for his PA. The ensuing request and Poppy’s interpretation gave me my first belly laugh –hilarious! Poppy needs to keep the mobile because she has given everyone (including the hotel staff in case they find the heirloom ring) the number. She offers to forward Sam Roxton’s emails and texts and in the process of doing this, can’t help but start reading them and she draws her own conclusions about his personality. I’ve Got Your Number shows how much easier it is to say things by text that you would never have the nerve to do face-to-face but also how easily some things can be misinterpreted!

Fiancé Magnus and his family are highbrow and published authors of academic papers. Poppy is a physiotherapist and feels inferior. They inhabit different worlds and Poppy’s attempts at trying to belong are hilarious. The faux pas brings to mind ‘Pretty Woman’. At the first dinner party on Magnus’ parents return, I loved the following in response to the conversation that is taking place around her:

“… and I’m the flute. And I do have a tune, and I’d quite like to play it, but there’s no conductor to bring me in …”

There’s another belly laugh moment after they’ve eaten which really did have me roaring.

It’s only ten days until their wedding … and a lot happens in those ten days.

All the characters are brilliant besides the leads. Magnus’ family, Poppy’s fellow physiotherapists where she works and Sam’s colleagues all bring colour and emotion to the story.

I’ve Got Your Number obviously has romance but it also takes us a bit deeper into the leads psyches. There is also intrigue (and laughter) linked to the mobile phone. This is chick lit that definitely gives that feel-good factor and it will stay with you for a long time after you’ve finished reading. Heart-warming, belly laughing, page turning and tear-making … I didn’t want to come to the end and was reluctant to pick up my Kindle for the last 10%.

I would like to thank the US publishers, Random House Publishing Group, for approving my Netgalley request.