sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

The Greatest Love Story of All Time - Lucy Robinson In the prologue we’re introduced to Fran. She’s laying in her snot-encrusted bed, hiding away from the world. Friends Stefania, Leonie and Dave break into her flat and present their plan.

Next, it’s 2008 (two years earlier) and we get to know more about Fran’s lead up to her meeting Michael Slater. The days following her meeting him are interspersed with chapters in the ‘now’. The reader is learning about the back story as well as getting a picture of what’s happening to Fran now.

The story is very much character-led. I have to admit I liked Fran from the very beginning – she comes across as very ditzy with very little belief in her own intelligence – but she has so much energy and is larger than life. She loses her way after Michael wants the break but it was great to see her start living and realising how much of her life she’d been neglecting! Her group of friends also have their own stories that emerge as the timeline progresses. The banter between them is fun and they really do look after Fran.

Fran stalking Nellie is hilarious! So funny. Yes, desperation really can get you into the situations Fran found herself. On reflection, in the restaurant I feel extremely sad for one of Fran’s friends who was by her side.

By the time the three months break is almost up, I wasn’t sure whether I wanted Fran to get back with Michael. Her life seemed to be going really well without him! The dating had been hilarious and she was picking up the pieces of her almost broken career. Have to admit the trip to France to meet him was really romantic … sigh

The ‘hero’ of the story is unexpected. I loved it that I didn’t know this would happen.

*Warning* There is swearing – but it does fit with the whole and for me didn’t detract from my enjoyment. There is also a hot intimate scene.

The Greatest Love Story of All Time … is a debut novel. It is chick lit that is fast paced and fun but it also tackles the deeper issues of alcoholism. I’ve enjoyed the journey in Fran’s life and would recommend to any fan of chick lit or contemporary romances.

I would like thank the publishers for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.