sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Sisters of Glass - Stephanie Hemphill Sisters of Glass begins with the history of the Barovier family furnace and the family background. Having once been the only family to have created Cristallo, once the secret was out, all major furnaces used the secret recipe and this affected the family’s social standing.

Even after the death of Maria’s father she was allowed to help in the furnace but the changes start happening in her (and subsequently Giovanna’s life) once she is being groomed for marriage to a nobleman. Luc, the orphaned glassblower enters the family, causing fifteen year old Maria to experience emotions she never has before.

Maria is a sassy lead having always spoken her mind and been forthright, she finds this hard to curb when trying to impress the suitors that come to call on the island of Murano. The naivety of her emotions is endearing and the conflict between sisters is quite poignant.

Family is a strong theme throughout Sisters of Glass as is social standing in the community. The romance aspect is suitable for children aged 12+. At 160 pages this is the right length for the targeted audience.

I would recommend Sisters of Glass for children who liked fairy tales when younger and are in that in-between stage of transition in their reading material.

I would like to thank the publisher, Random House Children’s Books, for approving my request on Netgalley. My review is based on the ARC in exchange for an honest review.