sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Becoming Edward - Faye Meredith The reader gets to know Rachel’s background before we meet best friend Cassie. Cassie talks Rachel into going to Bournemouth town centre on the premise that she will buy her another copy of Twilight.

While they are on the bus, the story moves to Lewis. The reader is immediately aware of his easy lifestyle and the lack of respect he shows for the females in his life. Forgetting to buy a birthday gift for his sister Olivia, he rushes off to Bournemouth town centre. The shops are closing at the end of the day but Books ‘n’ Beans is still open … which is where he meets Rachel.

Clive works in Books ‘n’ Beans but also goes to school with Rachel and Cassie. Dark and brooding he has very little belief in himself.

Lewis invites Rachel to the birthday party at their home in Sandbanks. During the evening, she witnesses something that makes her decide to leave to protect her emotions.

What follows is a romantic dance that I can guarantee will entertain you. Narrated in the third person, the reader spends time with each of the lead characters. The characters are well-developed and the author moves the story on at a good pace. The figurative language had me laughing at times.

I identified with the places (familiar to me as I live in Bournemouth!) and they are true to life (although sadly, I haven’t experienced a personal shopping service in the department store).

Becoming Edward is a well-written teen love story. I admire the way the author has Rachel and Lewis communicating even though they have totally different backgrounds. This could have come across as unbelievable but it is written in such a way that it feels totally natural. The reader will experience ‘gang culture’/bullying with a totally unexpected hero. I enjoy seeing characters grow and feel comfortable in their skin. Usually with the books I read it is the females, but this time it is the two male leads. I have no hesitation in recommending Becoming Edward to the targeted teen market.

I would like to thank the author for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.