sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

The Book of Lost Fragrances - M.J. Rose We begin our reading journey with a prologue. This is a newspaper report that explains the unrest in Tibet, the 14 part regulation banning living Buddha’s from reincarnating without permission and the abduction of a Panchen Lama. This is one of the threads that links with the L’Etoile family discovery.

A large part of the story is spent in the present time – with Jac and her brother Robbie, with the Chinese Mafia in Paris and Xie Ping in China. The timeline does regress. In Egypt in 1799 we meet Giles L’Etoile while he is exploring Nefertum’s tomb (the god of perfume) with Napolean and further back, Cleopatra and her obsession with perfumes. This may sound confusing but it isn’t … it’s all linked with the discovery Robbie found in the family archives. Each chapter gives the reader just enough information so that there is a need to keep turning those pages to see what will happen and how it will all come together.

The characters have had childhood trauma or have an obsession and therefore have something to prove. It’s the obsession that leads the story through the suspense, crime and mystery. The romance is sparked when Griffin (someone from Jac’s past) is involved in the discovery by Robbie. I really can’t say much more without giving away too much! The intimacy is beautifully written and will touch your soul.

Robbie’s discovery is coveted by different factions for different reasons but underlying this is Jac’s childhood experiences of visions that have made her feel insecure about her own stability. Although there is sadness there is understanding and release.

The Book of Lost Fragrances doesn’t disappoint. There is plenty of suspense. There are two key points that had me sitting on the edge of my seat – in the catacombs under Paris and in the gallery. I experienced everything the characters did. There were a couple of characters that I wasn’t sure whether I should be wary of or take them at face value and so watched them very carefully. The Buddhist aspect and Tibetan unrest is well-written.

It is clear that MJ Rose has researched her historical facts. Although this is a work of fiction, all the separate parts are drawn to come together to create a gripping story.