sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Sleeping with Paris - Juliette Sobanet 3.5 stars!

Sleeping with Paris begins with Charlotte’s last day at work. She’s said goodbye to everyone and has decided to stop off at Jeff’s office with a bottle of champagne. He’s not there, so checks her emails on his computer while she’s waiting. Up pops a chat box from Brooke, which leads Charlotte to look at the computer history and she discovers Jeff’s online dating profile.

Not being able to pass up on the opportunity of studying full-time at the Sorbonne in Paris, she finds herself alone in a dormitory, in emotional turmoil and decidedly unsure if she’s made the right decision. Having set up a blog to chart her and Jeff’s Parisian adventure, she decides to edit its purpose and instead, gives advice to all the women who’ve been cheated on by sharing how she is dating like a man. The popularity of the blog escalates and further on into the story the reader realises it has some dire consequences for not only her friends but also her own family. The resulting article for US magazine, Belle, also turns her world upside down.

Charlotte has a need to fill the emotional vacuum left by Jeff and I must admit to feeling sad that she hadn’t experienced life ‘solo’ … without a relationship. Of course as the story progresses we come to understand why and we see her grow and develop. She’s not the only character who is broken underneath a mask of coping and living the wild life. Sobanet gets into her characters psyches and creates a story that fits their profiles.

I loved the camaraderie of the friendships and the cultural influence of France. It is clear that the author has spent time in Georgetown, Paris and Lyon, which adds depth to the background.

Throughout the main part of the story we see Charlotte wavering in how she feels about Jeff, which fits perfectly with the grieving cycle of healing. Her confusion is real and the reader identifies with what she is going through. This draws you in. Her growing feelings for Luc are blindsided by her decision to ‘date like a man.’ It is only at a crisis point that she comes to a realisation … but is it too late?

Sleeping with Paris is a chick lit that is adventurous and thoughtful.

I would like to thank the author for sending me a copy to review in exchange for an honest review.