sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

An Autumn Crush - Milly Johnson From the opening of this story where Juliet and her friend Coco are interviewing for a flat mate, right up to the last punctuation mark, I have really enjoyed living in this world created by Milly Johnson.

The story takes us through the Autumnal months of August, September, October and November living alongside characters whose antics have provoked emotional outbursts from me and no doubt will from you!

Guys frustrated attempts at getting close to Floz actually had me in stitches of laughter. I spluttered with mirth at the things that happened when Steve and Guy went round to Juliet’s flat, ostensibly to check out the plastering.

I also just have to mention Steve who at one point finds himself outside on the steps of the flat whose clothing leads Juliet's neighbour to believe he's a transvestite. Hilarious! I am still laughing now …

Amidst the laughter though (of which is there plenty), sadness is also woven through the story. Milly Johnson is not afraid to deal with the darker side of life. Dysfunctional families, internet dating, addictions and more all have their place in this novel.

I loved The Miller family who are open and welcoming providing roots and stability for everyone involved in their lives.

There is also plenty of intrigue. The author drops us hints as we’re going along so the first time something is mentioned it gets you thinking where it will fit into the story and as you’re reading further into the story we get to know a little bit more until the time is right for the revelation.

Milly Johnson very cleverly moves the plot along at a steady pace and just when something is becoming all ‘sown up’ something else is dropped into the mix so there is more intrigue to keep you turning those pages, wanting to know what will happen.

The way the story is written just carries you along in its flow. I found it easy to read which to be honest, is just what I needed after a working day in school – although at times I should have been sleeping and NOT reading! Pure escapism …

I was quite sad when I knew I was getting close to the end. I’d been swept along with Floz by the power of Juliet’s personality, been caught up in Coco's flamboyant personality and love life, been wrapped up in the warmth of the Miller family, cried tears of laughter and sometimes deep sadness, been frustrated by the non-relationship of Floz and Guy but uplifted by Juliet and Steve’s shenanigans. An Autumn Crush has kept me good company this past week and taken me out of my everyday life. I didn’t want my brief time in this world to end.

I would like to thank Simon & Schuster for providing me with a copy to review.

I have The Yorkshire Pudding Club on my Kindle tbr pile and I will definitely be adding Milly Johnson’s other titles.

This review is also available on my blog at Jera's Jamboree http://shazjera.blogspot.com/