sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Reacquainted: A Sweet Deception - Lindsay Weigel The foundation for Laurie’s story is laid in the first part of the novel. We get to learn about her solitary life at home and where she works. As a picture builds of Laurie we come to understand that she is hiding but we don’t know from what or who. Her life is very simple. She goes to work, she goes home. She dresses plainly and doesn’t wear make-up – she doesn’t want to be noticed.

Laurie is a dedicated worker in the fashion store that employs her and the manager of the fashion store puts on Laurie all the time. She works alongside Ashley who loves to go out clubbing and meeting different men. Ashley always talks to Laurie about her life outside work.

After they meet Alex Young in the store, Ashley and Laurie meet up with him and his friend Eric at a club. Laurie, who doesn’t go out, can be found at the bar knocking back shorts – totally out of character from what we know of her. Gradually, a relationship builds between Laurie and Eric. From this point in the story there is an inference that Laurie and Eric have at some point in the past met. Eric sometimes starts a sentence, which almost gives away something from the past but doesn’t finish it so we are left wondering what the connection is.

It all comes to crises point after a charity ball when Laurie sees something she shouldn’t have. We get to learn of a past that is forgotten and a possible future yet to come.

Laurie Wilcox’s story of a sweet deception is told in the first person and mostly by dialogue. Rarely does the author use an apostrophe for omission and for me this gave the writing an ‘old world’ feeling about the rhythm of the words, which is very fitting for the genre.

At the end there is a twist – I wasn’t expecting this and loved it! I loved that it made me stop and think about everything I had read and I also loved Laurie taking the action into her own hands.

If you are a fan of the Twilight series then you will enjoy reading Laurie’s story.

I would like to thank the author for sending me a copy to review.