sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

The UnTied Kingdom - Kate Johnson There is everything you could possibly need in escaping real life in this story of love between Eve and Harker. There is, of course, the romance …… but there is also the creation of a parallel world – how intriguing that Eve jumps through to a different world! but not so different that the reader doesn’t have any recognition of that world.
The story takes us through Eve’s initial confusion and carries us along to acceptance and even to finding a part of herself again. Eve is a character that develops throughout. When we meet her she is downtrodden and everything in her recent past has been against her. As the story moves us along, she gets stronger and sassier and there is real strength in who she is. Harker on the other hand stays solid and strong throughout – and is the stereotype of all that is good in a man that leads others – someone you would die for, remain loyal to. Harker’s battle-scarred body shows just how much he is willing to put himself on the line - for his beliefs and for the protection of those in his charge. I thought Kate Johnson creating conflict for Eve so that she would understand physical pain/part of Harker’s psyche was genius!
I enjoyed the ‘sparky’ relationship between them both and loved getting to know the other characters in Harker’s team.
The parallel world is how I imagine it may have been round about the time of WW1 with the ‘class’ differences in society, the resources available and how they travelled. Kate Johnson certainly paints a desolate third world for us. I loved the camaraderie, the espionage and the intensity of feelings.
I would love to see if Eve’s world would affect Harker and how. The Untied Kingdom is set in Harker’s world – maybe there’s another story in the making there …………
I was totally absorbed reading this story and just couldn’t put it down! If you think the paranormal genre isn’t for you I would encourage you to read ‘The Untied Kingdom’ – it’s a gentle introduction to get you out of your comfort reading zone.