sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Dog Walks Man: A Six-Legged Odyssey - John Zeaman Dog Walks Man – A Six-Legged Odyssey
John Zeaman

Thank you to Octopus Books for providing me with a copy of this fabulous book.

The blurb on the back cover is exactly what you get. I enjoyed reading every chapter in this book, not only because it relates to me as a dog owner and therefore walker but also because of the insights Zeaman shares. This is not a book just about the dog walk – there are also art snippets, other interesting facts about a multitude of things and the community in which the adventures take place. It should appeal to quite a broad spectrum of people and ages.

I found Zeaman’s journeying an accurate reflection of my own experience. The way he describes dogs, their personalities and what they get up to is so true. How he starts off close to home, walking round the block - and then starts to explore other possibilities/areas is also a reflection of how it is. Noticing nature and the changes in seasons is also another large part of being outdoors and something everyone can identify with if they take time to stop and notice the world we are living in.

At no point did I become bored with the narrative or rush my reading. The writing flows and cascades you along in a timeline of events, which is clear and logical. The descriptions and sharing are such that you feel an emotional connection to Pete and even to the area and community where the story unfolds. There is humour sprinkled throughout and one particular part of the story had me laughing so hard and for so long my family was becoming concerned about me ……………….. Another part of the story had me shedding tears in sorrow and feeling totally wrung out. I could feel the desolation as if it was mine.

I don’t think anything I can write would do ‘Dog Walks Man’ total justice. My husband (a reluctant reader) has now started reading it and thoroughly enjoying it which speaks volumes!

I would urge you to buy the book otherwise you will be missing out on the ‘touching, witty and thought-provoking tale of how one man found meaning in the humble dog walk’.