sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Robbie and Gary: It's Complicated - Paul Scott Paul Scott structures his story of Robbie & Gary. He doesn’t offer personal opinions, he does quote from previous autobiographies and refers to some sources as ‘friends say’.

He begins with a brief history of Take That’s formation and the group dynamics that were fostered by their manager, Nigel Martin-Smith.

We follow them separately – the race to get their first solo singles out, Gary’s relationship with Dawn Andrews and his emotional decline, Robbie’s experience in the American market and his emotional decline, the rise of Robbie, the fall of Gary and then the fall of Robbie (yes, he really was falling at one point even though I don’t remember much about that in the media) and the rise of Gary! We do get to see the psychology behind the men.

All the layers are removed leaving bare foibles, emotional wounds and the true feelings of these very popular celebrities. I thought the author told their story with compassion and honesty with the last two paragraphs summing up their ‘new’ friendship really well.

Of course I loved looking at the photographs … did they really look that young! and I also liked the chapter titles which were all themed from Take That.

I have to admit personally that I love their ‘bromance’ ! and once you read the book, you’ll understand why they never concretised Robbie’s return to Take That.

I knew I would enjoy reading this book having followed Take That when they first formed but I have to say I also enjoyed the way it was written. However, fans may not like seeing Robbie and Gary portrayed in such a harsh light. Despite seeing them with their masks off, I still think this book will be gracing many bookshelves.