sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Miranda's Mount - Phillipa Ashley The first time we meet Miranda she’s lost in the view from the battlements of St Merryn’s Mount. We find out that she’s worked there for almost a decade and the connection she feels to the Mount.

In this first chapter there is conflict with a thief and drama with an intruder in the armoury of the castle… my imagination and interest was hooked!

With the return of Jago there is mystery surrounding where he has been and why he hasn’t been back since his inheritance. Jago and Miranda both have childhood scars from parenting that are shaping the way they interact with the world. Neither are fully engaged in life … Jago also has emotional scars from the time he’s been away so despite their attraction, there is a reluctance to admit how they are drawn to each other.

Miranda’s Mount follows our two leads as they clash … not only about the future of St Merryn’s Mount but sparks fly emotionally as well.

Written in the third person we get to identify with both Jago and Miranda. I always enjoy this perspective as we see different facets to our characters personalities and it can leave the reader yelling at the characters because we know things the other doesn’t!

I enjoyed the whole culture and community on the Mount. Despite the isolation, there is plenty going on to hold the readers interest. The conflict between Theo and Jago is always simmering under the surface of their interactions and the annual Festival of Fools was very entertaining. I have to admit that I did like Theo … until the truth is uncovered of why he’s been getting closer to Miranda! The intimacy between Miranda and Jago has its amusing moments – the boat scene comes to mind here and although it could have had a very different ending, I couldn’t help but chuckle. I have no doubt that one seduction scene will hit into quite a few feminine fantasies …

The readers emotions are engaged not only by the romance but also with familial love. I must admit to tears at the Song of the Seas near Lands End.

Lady St Merryn is a fabulous character. I loved it that she was finally able to choose to be who she wanted to be and to do her ‘own thing.’ We all know I love to see a character grow into their own and it was brilliant that this time it was an older character. It’s never too late is the message here!

Although I could predict where the story was taking me, Miranda’s Mount has thoroughly entertained me and I’ve been left with that feel-good factor – which is exactly what you want to escape on these dark and grey days. I have no hesitation in recommending you add this to your reading list.

I would like to thank the author for providing a copy to review in exchange for an honest review.