sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

The Dark Glamour  - Gabriella Pierce http://jerasjamboree.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/jeras-jamboree-review-the-dark-glamour-by-gabriella-pierce/

Mid-August I read 666 Park Avenue (the first novel in this series) which I enjoyed and recommended for your reading lists. When The Dark Glamour was offered to me to review I jumped at the chance!

When we left Jane Boyle she’d made her decision. The Dark Glamour opens with Jane living through that decision, which isn’t as exciting as she’d expected. It’s three weeks after her magical battle with Lynne Doran and Jane finally goes to the safe deposit box that Malcolm organised. She finds she has access to an endless supply of money … and an ornament that she’s not sure the significance of as it was deposited 15 years ago so before Malcolm knew Jane.

Jane contacts Dee and the magical journey begins. Hoping to find out where Malcolm is by using the ornament in a spell, the outcome is totally different than her expectations. Needing to get back into the Doran’s home, Misty (from the Book and Bell) finds a rare magical object that will cause a glamour and last 28 days. What follows is a journey of twists and turns with Jane as her alter-ego Ella which is full of surprises and danger.

André is a dangerous and dark character. The scenes with him and ‘Ella’ are tense and full of sexual tension. Both know they are lying but neither know what is below the lies, which adds an edge of further excitement. The intimacy with Andre has the wow factor and the domination is exactly right for his character. I didn’t feel entirely comfortable with one of the scenes but do feel it was necessary in portraying their relationship.

The quest takes ‘Ella’ to London where best friend Elodie is staying with her parents. We only meet her briefly in 666 Park Avenue so I enjoyed getting to know her and seeing the easy relationship they have with each other.

In the previous story, Jane was pretty much led by everyone else having had a sheltered upbringing. In The Dark Glamour, she is solo quite a lot of the time and making her own decisions. Despite her confidence and willingness to confront life, she shares her flaws with the reader which is an endearing quality and makes her very likeable.

Jane’s magical journey through her grandmother’s blank diary is a key scene … when we find out the importance of why things have been arranged and why the protection, I was shocked! Having believed all along that Jane had made the right decision I now had to change my perception. I wondered if ‘Ella’ would be able to turn things around at the party … The scene in the billiard room was very tense. The war is definitely about to begin! I loved the original characters all coming together. I think Jane, Dee, Maeve and Harris will make a formidable team. I’m hoping they will be able to use the magic stored in the athame!

Once again there is much to hold the reader’s interest. The previous key characters take a low profile in The Dark Glamour while Jane is off on her quest and we’re introduced to new key characters. The danger and tension had me turning the pages and when the layers of the plot unfold to reveal what is at the core … brilliant!

The back story is built in throughout The Dark Glamour so you can read this book in the series as a stand alone.

The next novel in the series The Lost Soul is due for publication 17 Jan 2013. Can’t wait!