sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After - Deborah Carr,  Bernadette James,  Tamsyn Murray,  Jill Steeples,  Karen Clarke,  Sally Quilford,  Kathleen McGurl,  Cally Taylor,  Jenny Maltby,  Sarah Dunnakey,  Helen Kara,  Helen M. Hunt,  Leigh Forbes The Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After website says 'The idea for this book came from the successful 'A Story A Fortnight' writing group which brought the writers involved together in a project that has inspired and supported them in their short story writing.'

As a reader, I found plenty of inspiration on these pages … along with intrigue and tantalising glimpses that made me ponder. In fact every story in this anthology gave me pause for thought and at the end of each one, I had to take time to reflect back over what I had read and absorb the intention of the masterfully crafted tale.

I haven’t read short stories since I was much younger, preferring to lose myself in a longer journey. Now I’m wondering what I’m missing out on!

These twenty-six stories had me thinking about life … how we interact with others and what it is that is really important in life.

I enjoyed them all but particularly staying in my mind is Hive Talking by Leigh Forbes (being patient may change the goal for the better!); Dinner in Paradise by Cally Taylor (there is more than one way to interpret a dream); The Changing World of Michael O’Sullivan by Kathleen McGurl (the choices we make are not always the right ones!); The Woman in White by Jill Steeples (very poignant) and The Girl in the Yellow Dress by Bernadette James (you never know what ripples your actions may cause at some point in the future). I enjoyed the tension and resolution in Going Backwards by Debs Carr and the quirkiness of From Tesco’s With Love by Sally Quilford.

The beauty of short stories is that you can dip in and out and you don’t have to read them in the order they are presented. You can read them on short journeys, in-between chores, when you’re waiting … Being an organised person I have to admit reading each page in turn and being so engrossed that I even read at the dinner table and late at night! For me, Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After is a keeper