sharongoodwin77

Jera's Jamboree

I'll Be There - Holly Goldberg Sloan The story begins with Sam … we find out all the things we need to know to understand him and his passion/outlet for music and therefore the reasons why church plays an important part in his existence. Whilst Emily is sharing her feelings about singing in church the reader gets to know Emily and her middle class family. The importance of the title is introduced straight away – it is the song Emily sings in church whilst transfixed on Sam. Unbeknown to Emily it is a song that Sam’s mother used to sing to him. The song is important at key points …

Sam comes into Emily’s life and changes her forever. She looks at everything around her with a different perspective and matures in the blink of an eye. Sam is so innocent and wears no mask because he hasn’t had to interact with society on a daily basis. Ironically, the rules we have been taught are to distrust someone like Sam when all along, the upper class Bobby Ellis is the one who is ‘acting’ in public while hiding a totally different persona underneath. Take note! Perhaps it was unkind of me but the disasters that befell Bobby on the day of the prom had me laughing … that’s what you call karma :)

The romance between Emily and Sam is magical. They have a powerful connection. At one point, Sam is waiting for Emily to finish soccer practice and when she realises he is there, they kiss through the chainlink fence. A powerful symbol at that point in their journey.

I really liked the alternating narratives (written in the third person). I must admit that at first, while the foundation is created, the story was ‘ok’ for me. I could pick the book up and put it down. From the time the crisis happens though, I was hooked. The suspense grabbed me. I couldn’t put it down. Spending time with Sam and his brother Riddle when they’re together and then when they’re apart while also spending time with Emily and Bobby Ellis … and Sam’s father Clarence. You just have to turn those pages to see what each of the characters are up to and I was intrigued to find out how, or if, it would all weave back together again.

The background that Sam and Riddle have gives them the skills they need to survive after the crisis point. The exciting thing about the resolution is that you think it’s going to happen … but it doesn’t. There’s more to come. I loved the whole scene with Riddle and the orange tent, from his comparison to The Three Bears and the way he felt to the laughter I couldn’t stop when he was found.

All the characters are brilliant but my favourite just has to be Riddle. So very interesting. Suffering from asthma, allergies and on the autistic spectrum, it’s clear why he finds a place in Debbie Bell’s heart. I was so caught up in the story that at one point, when Riddle screamed I did too!

I identified with Emily having thought deeply about things for as long as I can remember and seeing patterns within patterns. Should I admit to feeling like Emily about pictures? Probably not … I thought I was the only one who felt like that though obviously not as the author has created it as part of Emily’s personality!

I can’t end my review without mentioning synchronicity. I love the way that characters and their reasons for being a part of the story are woven in, as well as the ‘bigger’ picture.

I’ll Be There is a debut novel that’s multi-layered. Targeted at the Young Adult audience, many adults will also identify with the emotions and survival of finding a place to belong. A word of warning, have your tissues ready at the ending!

I would like to thank Piccadilly Press for offering I’ll Be There on Twitter for review in exchange for an honest opinion.